Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Views

To clear up any confusion, I am not partial to either the UFC or Pride FC. I think they both have a place in the world of MMA and will not try to engage in petty bickering between which one is better. Granted there are differences besides geography, but both are very entertaining.

Now in no particular order here are my favorite fighters at the moment:

Renato "Babalu" Sobral (27-5-0)
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (19-4-2)
Jeff "Snowman" Monson (22-5-0)
Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva (31-5-1 and 1 No Contest)
Brandon "The Truth" Vera (7-0-0)
Genki "Neo-Samurai" Sudo (14-4-1)
Forrest Griffin (12-3-0)
Michael "The Count" Bisping (11-0-0)

The list isn't all inclusive, I am sure I forgot some too. One last thing, I am seriously experiencing some mixed emotions with the latest news from the UFC/Pride situation. First Babalu is scheduled to fight Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell for the UFC Light-Heavyweight title, but at UFC 61 it was announced that if Liddell successfully defends the title at UFC 62 and stays injury free and Wanderlei Silva stays healthy against his upcoming fight at Final Conflict Absolute against Cro Cop, the Iceman and the Axe Murderer will meet in the Octagon. That should bring cheers from any MMA fan except for big Babalu fans. Like I said, mixed emotions....